[Samba] Several questions about winbind[d]

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 05:51:59 MDT 2015

> On 30/06/15 11:17, mathias dufresne wrote:
>
>> @Andrew: I expect these lines came from RDP issue workaround which should
>> be happening with previous Samba version. I removed all these lines as
>> now,
>> with 4.2.2 Samba version RDP and RSAT are working well without them.
>>
>> I removed also each and every idmap lines, commented most of winbind lines
>> too and now my smb.conf is:
>> [global]
>>          workgroup = AD.DOMAIN
>>          realm = ad.domain.tld
>>          netbios name = DC01
>>          server role = active directory domain controller
>>
>>          dns forwarder = 10.0.0.240
>>
>>          wins support = yes
>>          winbind nss info = rfc2307
>>

> The 'winbind nss info = rfc2307' line should be 'idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 =
> yes' on a DC

I checked on some other DC and even using 'idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes'
behaviour of wbinfo and getent are the same.

>> [netlogon]
>>          path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/ad.domain.tld/scripts
>>          read only = No
>>
>> [sysvol]
>>          path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
>>          read only = No
>>
>> There is still something I don't understand:
>> "wbinfo -i some.user" does not show configured homeDirectory nor
>> loginShell
>> nor for gidNumber
>> For loginShell it displays "/bin/false" rather than configured "/bin/bash"
>> For homeDirectory it displays "/home/AD.DOMAIN/some.user" rather
>> configured
>> "/home/some.user"
>> For gidNumber it displays "100" rather than content of "gidNumber".
>>

> This is one of the reasons why it is not recommended to use a DC as a
> fileserver, whilst from version 4.2.0, samba uses the same 'winbindd'
> daemon as on a member server, it still doesn't use all its capabilities.
> You can set 'template homedir' and 'template shell' in smb.conf, see 'man
> smb.conf, but note these will affect *all* users, you cannot set individual
> user homedir paths and shells.
> To get the users 'gidNumber' attribute shown by 'getent' etc , you need to
> ensure that 'Domain Users' has a 'gidNumber' attribute.

I discovered these option this weekend but as you say, all users are
impacted. As users are a bit numerous (120 000) and I'm only there to
design the solution, I have no real idea about how they would use this AD,
meaning I can't push to use them as they would lose configuration
granularity.

>> SSSD can easily be configured on non-DC to replace winbind and it gives
>> possibility to configure which  LDB attributes are retrieved.
>> On DC I'm still facing incompatibility between Sernet's Samba and SSSD
>> package (on Centos 6 & 7 and Debian 8) so initially I planned to use
>> winbind in nsswitch.conf and pam.d/* on DC to be able to check ACLs on
>> sysvol folder but the fact using winbind all users have "Domain users" as
>> primary group seems to me an issue to agree with that solution...
>>

> This is yet another reason not to use a DC as a fileserver. The 'Domain
> users' problem can be fixed, but it can cause more problems than what it
> fixes, because to change the users primaryGroupID attribute means removing
> the user from the 'Domain Users' group and windows expects all users to be
> a member of 'Domain Users'.
>
>  As far I understand wbinfo fill user's primary group according to
>> "primaryGroup" value.
>>
>> Is there a way to configure winbind to fill user's primary group using
>> "gidNumber" rather than "primaryGroup"?
>>

> On a DC, no. On a member server this is not a problem.

No issue on system using SSSD as it comes with options to force usage of
specific LDB attributes to fill getent answers (using sssd-ldap options as
"ldap_user_shell = loginShell" even when using sssd-ad as SSSD engine, how
long this would be possible, no idea).

Why not insert into winbindd client such options? (ok the answer could be:
because there is other work to be done first :)

Best regards,

mathias