[Samba] Moving from compiled to packages

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 29 09:17:08 MDT 2015

On 29/06/15 15:28, Jason Waters wrote:
> I understand about using the newer binaries, but what I really want to
> "save" is the active directory.  Sorry I should have been clear.  I do not
> want to have to rejoin/recreate everything.  Thanks.
>
> Jason
>
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 29.06.2015 um 15:06 schrieb Jason Waters:
>>
>>> I have been using Ubuntu 12.04 for awhile and built samba from source.  I
>>> have two servers, both on 12.04.  Samba bulid 4.1.11.  I would like to
>>> upgrade the servers to 14.04 and start using the actual pacakges from
>>> ubuntu.  How do I get from compiled binarys to using the ubuntu pacakge?
>>> Thanks for any help
>>>
>> by delete all files spewed with "make install" into the system and install
>> the packages, you should have used a build-prefix to isolate it from the
>> rest of the OS or just built your own package
>>
>> maybe "make uninstall" works, in doubt compile and do "make install" again
>> to have all the files needed for "make uninstall"
>>

>> --

The problem is, when you compile Samba yourself, typically everything is
put into '/usr/local/samba', whereas a package install splits it up all
over the place, mostly into '/var/lib/samba'. Easiest way out of this
is, Install your new OS on a new PC, install samba packages (note: if
you install Ubuntu 14.04, you will only get 4.1.6, though there is a ppa
out there somewhere that will get you a later version.), join this to
your domain as a new DC. Once your new DC is up and running, transfer
all the FSMO roles to this DC, turn off your old DC and clean out all
mention of the old DC from the new DC, never bring the old DC back again.

Rowland