[Samba] Backing up a ADDC member server

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 27 10:20:33 MDT 2015

On 27/06/15 14:10, Bob of Donelson Trophy wrote:

> I have a functional pair of computers, one running a DC and the other
> running as a member server providing storage for the W7 clients. Within
> the member server, many directories have modified ACL settings to share
> among W7 client/ADDC users. I would like to backup the member server and
> protect the ACL and extend attr file permissions. Rsync will do this
> with "-A" and "-X" options engaged. (With Rsync, it is my understanding
> that these options are not engaged or turned on by default.)
>
> Backuppc, the backup program of my choice, uses rsync as one of it's
> programs to backup and restore files. I am in the process of learning
> how and trying to engage the "-A" and "-X" options and finding it is not
> as simple as adding them to the command string. (Backuppc uses something
> written in Perl called Files::Rsync, I think.)
>
> I'm thinking that the simplest would be to use rsync directly but would
> prefer using it within Backuppc (again, the backup program of my
> choice.) I was wondering if anyone else has any experience in backing up
> a member server with ACL and attr file permissions supported? And how do
> they (you) do that?

Hi Bob, you are running into the same problem as people trying to sync
Sysvol, there isn't just one program that will do what you want, if you
want bi-directional sync. Unison will do bi-directional sync, but, even
though it uses rsync, it cannot work with ntfs ACLs, BackupPc is the
same. I think your best bet is to write your own backup script around
rsync, that way, you get to choose what rsync options to use.

BackupPC, whilst it uses rsync, seems to use its own interpretation of
an rsync client written in perl and this doesn't seem to have been
really updated for years and, as you have found out, will not work with
ACLs and extended attributes, Why he chose to do this instead of just
writing a small wrapper around rsync, I do not know, but in my opinion,
it was a bad choice.

Rowland