[Samba] Internal DNS CNAME To Amazon Web Services Problem

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Mon Jun 29 03:09:25 MDT 2015

Hello Samba Mailing List

Well, the companies I contacted about this problem said that they could not help because it was an actual Samba code issue, and not a configuration issue.

I have "got around it" for now by changing the internal CNAME to an A record which points to another in-house server running Apache and then creating a quick internal web site for the www.domain.com in question which then serves an .htaccess file with the following:-

Redirect 301 / http://path.to.amazon.s3.site.com

e.g.     PC > DC > Apache Server > .htaccess > Amazon

Not great, but it'll do for now, so the boss can see what the rest of the world sees at the Amazon Web Services.

I don't really want to bother with all the hassle of changing to BIND for this tiny thing, so I am hoping the Samba developers can either fix the recursive CNAME bug or put back the smb.conf option...

...fingers and toes crossed!

Thanks and regards,

Paul