[Samba] can't authenticate from Windows 7/Pro machines [RESOLVED]

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Sun Jun 28 21:45:57 MDT 2015

Forgot to install ntp. The clocks were out of sync so things failed.

---------------------

I'm running Debian/Jessie in a fresh install after some severe system
problems. The install went smoothly except for an issue with grub-pc
acting up. Installing the version from sid cured that. I was still
having a hardware issue so I swapped out the motherboard and put in a
more modern one that took the same processor & memory.

This resulted in another problem - the onboard nic couldn't be setup
with DHCP. Since this was a server, I set the interface to a static IP
and things worked after that.

Working my may through the clearly written samba wiki, I installed and
provisioned Samba 4. This required installing the krb5-key and
krb5-admin-? packages to get things to work. I'm using the internal
(samba) dns.

I got all the tests for kerberos and samba to work and added multiple
users using samba-tool, including adding an account for myself as a
Domain Admin in addition to the Administrator account.

However I can't log in to a workstation using a domain user account,
although they all show up in the Domain Users group. I logged in with a
local account and removed the machine from the (old) domain (with the
same name as the current) but can't join the (new) domain. I get a user
name or password error each time I try.

I also note that I can't connect to a network share. I get a similar error.

I can ping the DC by name and also the realm by name and the domain is
treated as valid when I enter it while trying to join the domain.

I've disabled the Windows firewall but that hasn't made any difference.

I need to get this working by the morning. Can't find any help on Google
for this. Any ideas?