[Samba] Winbindd Strangeness

David Minard david at scem.uws.edu.au
Sun Jun 28 21:26:59 MDT 2015

    On 25/06/15 13:44, David Minard wrote:

>>>         Yes, you do appear to doing things wrong workgroup = AD but: idmap
>>>         config SAMBADOM:backend = ad idmap config SAMBADOM:schema_mode =
>>>         rfc2307 idmap config SAMBADOM:range = 600-29999999 'SAMBADOM' should
>>>         be 'AD' You have 'realm = SAMBADOM' , it really should be something
>>>         like 'realm = SAMBADOM.COM' Rowland
>>>
>>>     Thanks for the quick reply Roland.  The change didn't make any
>>>     difference.  I remember having it the way you suggested in the first
>>>     place, but was still getting strangeness.  I have put it back to the
>>>     right way as suggested.  I now have a config of:
>>>
>>>     [global]
>>>
>>>        netbios name = MS1
>>>        workgroup = AD
>>>        security = ADS
>>>        realm = SAMDOM
>>>        dedicated keytab file = /etc/krb5.keytab
>>>        kerberos method = secrets and keytab
>>>
>>>        idmap config *:backend = tdb
>>>        idmap config *:range = 30000000-40000000
>>>        idmap config AD:backend = ad
>>>        idmap config AD:schema_mode = rfc2307
>>>        idmap config AD:range = 600-29999999
>>>
>>>        winbind nss info = rfc2307
>>>        winbind trusted domains only = no
>>>        winbind use default domain = yes
>>>        winbind enum users  = yes
>>>        winbind enum groups = yes
>>>        winbind refresh tickets = Yes
>>>

>>>     SAMDOM is as you say, a domain name for the AD.
>>>
>>>     I noticed that the UIDNumber of new accounts are overlapping with
>>>     system accounts.
>>>
>>>     fred1:*:30000002:30000000:Fred Nerks:/home/fred1:/bin/tcsh
>>>     krbtgt:*:30000002:30000000:krbtgt:/home/AD/krbtgt:/bin/false
>>>
>>>     fred:*:30000000:30000000:Fred Nerks:/home/fred:/bin/tcsh
>>>     administrator:*:30000000:30000000:Administrator:/home/AD/administrator:/bin/false
>>>

>>     Strange, have you tried running 'net cache flush' on the member server ?
>     No I hadn't.  I tried it.  Now 'getent passwd' gives only gives me the unix accounts on the server.  'wbinfo -u' works fine.
>
>>     Have you given all the users & groups an ID number in AD ?
>     Only users and groups that I have created.  Do I have to do that for the default accounts too?
>
>>     Can you post the exact command you are using to create users.
>>
>     samba-tool user add fred --userou='OU=Test Users' --profile-path='\\ms1.example.com\profiles\fred' --home-drive='u:' --home-directory='\\ms1.example.com\fred' --login-shell='/bin/tcsh' --gecos='Fred Nerks' --gid-number='600' --uid-number='4999' --uid='fred' --unix-home='/home/fred' --nis-domain='AD' --surname='Nerks' --given-name='Fred' --mail-address='fred at example.com'  --random-password

    OK, I have recreated your user 'fred' on my DC, just a couple of issues
    first, shouldn't  --home-drive='u:' be
    --home-drive='U:' and how will your user login, I ask this because you
    (or fred) don't know the password ?

This is a test set up, and I set the password up later using 'smbpasswd
[username]'

The u: vs U:...  Not sure that's a problem (I could be wrong).  The account goes into AD okay, but I will change my scripts.

    Now, if I run 'getent passwd fred' on the DC, I get this:

    EXAMPLE\fred:*:4999:10000:Fred Nerks:/home/EXAMPLE/fred:/bin/bash

How come you get a line like that?  I get:

fred:*:4999:4294967295:Fred Nerks:/kusers/techies/fred:/bin/tcsh

normal unix style username, and a proper home directory and shell.

    But I get nothing on a member server.

    until I change the uidNumber for fred to 14999 which is inside the range
    I have in smb.conf:

    idmap config EXAMPLE : range = 10000-999999

    So, can we confirm that your line in smb.conf is:

    idmap config AD : range = 600-29999999

That was correct.  However I have changed them to: 600 - 2999999.  I saw
errors about the original ones being out of range.  The errors have
stopped.  Winbindd is still giving me strange results.

Earlier, you asked "Have you given all the users & groups an ID number
in AD ?".  Do you mean the default accounts and groups that come with a
fresh provision as well as the user accounts and groups I create after
the provision?

      Rowland

I have some other questions.  When I run 'net cache flush' the 'getent passwd' stops serving out any samba4 account information.  'wbinfo -u' still works.  Why does the connectivity of getent disappear?  Starting and stopping smbd and winbindd does not fix it.  Removing the above mentioned winbind cache files doesn't help.  A re-boot of the server mostly fixes it, but not always.  What is the cause?  It's been broken since Friday arvo.  How can I reliably kick winbindd and get it to work again.

I'm thinking a lot of it has to do with caching, but I don't know enough to put my finger on it...

I want to run all this in production, and have all OSX, Linux boxes, and Windows clients using it as their sole account info/auth, but it has to be rock solid and predictable.

--

Cheers,
David Minard.
Ph:    0247 360 155
Fax:    0247 360 770

School of Computing, Engineering, and Mathematics
Building Y - Penrith Campus (Kingswood)
Locked bag 1797
Penrith South DC
NSW 1797

[Sometimes waking up just isn't worth the insult of the day to come.]

believed to be clean.