[Samba] Windows 8.1 Join Domain

Chuck Theobald chuckt at uoregon.edu
Thu Jun 25 18:13:00 MDT 2015

I have Samba 3.6.6 configured as a domain controller, but am unable to
get new machines to join the domain. I've set the WINS on these machines
in the IPv4 network configuration and get as far as entering my samba
(ldap) credentials, but the whirlything spins for a while then says it
cannot contact the domain, domain does not exist.

If a machine had already been part of the domain when it was XP, then
re-joining seems to work, but new machines are unable to join. I suspect
that this may be related to my add machine script, but that script works
so far as creating the record, but still no welcome into the domain.

What is the current wisdom for making this happen each and every time
for all my machines?

Thanks,

--
Chuck Theobald