[Samba] How load balancing between DC is managed?

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 06:36:15 MDT 2015

Hi all,

With an AD domain hosted by Samba4 (only Samba) composed with several
domain controllers, do we need to configure something to managed load
balancing?

>From what I read a Windows client ask DNS for SRV records
_ldap._tcp.AD.DOMAIN.TLD (or perhaps _LDAP._TCP.dc._msdcs.AD.DOMAIN.TLD)
then this very same Windows client send a LDAP packet over UDP to every
servers listed by DNS answer.
Then each available DC reply. If "Sites" are configured the DC are checking
client IP and send client's site name if available and if the answering DC
is not in that site.
And that's here I'm not too sure about how the DC is chosen...
The chosen DC is the first LDAP server which replied without complaining
about site? Is that sufficient to have a working load balancing?

Kindly regards,

mathias