[Samba] Files larger than 1GB fail to copy

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 02:33:06 MDT 2015

I have a QNAP TS-410 NAS on which I have some CIFS shares. I'm trying to
copy some biggish files from a Lunix machine to the CIFS share on the NAS
but have runs into problems. I've created files of various sizes and I've
found that I can copy files up to size 1024MB to the CIFS share on the NAS,
but when I try to copy anything larger than that the copy command hangs
forever and nothing happens. This is reproducible in my setup and happens
consistently.

I've also found an error message on the NAS in /var/log/log.smbd which
might shed some light, but it doesn't mean anything to me and Googling
hasn't helped me solve it:

[2015/06/24 18:12:00.048030,  0] smbd/process.c:245(read_packet_remainder)
  read_fd_with_timeout failed for client 192.168.0.103 read error =
NT_STATUS_END_OF_FILE

I've also tried setting up an NFS share on the NAS and copying large files
to that - this works fine, so it seems to be something to do with Samba.
Can anyone advise what might be wrong here?