[Samba] Samba4 Secondary DC as Backup DC (redundancy)

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Tue Jun 23 12:16:23 MDT 2015

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015, Rowland Penny wrote:

> On 23/06/15 18:58, Daniel Carrasco Marín wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I've sucessfull created a secondary DC using the wiki manual (
>>  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC), and is working
>>  perfectly, user and groups are synced on both and I can use any of them
>>  for
>>  login using clients like Owncloud, Prosody, python scripts...
>>
>>  Now my question is: ¿how I can use that secondary DC as backup when the
>>  main fails?.
>
> If it is by DHCP, then the dhcp server needs to push out both DCs as
> nameservers, if static, then each client needs to be set to use both DCs as
> nameservers.

His quetion is a bit vague, but I would also assume he is using LDAP for
authentication on Owncloud, etc.  In that case, he also needs LDAP to fail
over.  Generally, you can just point LDAP clients at "your.ADdomain.com"
(whatever it is), which resolves to the IP addresses of all of your DCs.
If they fail to connect, they will usually retry and get another address,
and connect to a different DC.