[Samba] Realm and Domain in Samba 4

Miguel Montealegre daychuzleo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 11:40:24 MDT 2015

Hi fellows,

I've been reading the wiki of Samba but the documentation for version 4 of
Samba seems "limited"

I have questions about the difference between {Realm} and {Domain} in the
configuration file smb.conf. I've followed the wiki to setup the server in
this way:

samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --interactive

Realm [EXAMPLE]: EXAMPLE.COM
 Domain [EXAMPLE]: EXAMPLE
 Server Role (dc, member, standalone) [dc]: dc
 DNS backend (SAMBA_INTERNAL, BIND9_FLATFILE, BIND9_DLZ, NONE)
[SAMBA_INTERNAL]:
 DNS forwarder IP address (write 'none' to disable forwarding)
[172.25.100.2]:
Administrator password:

Testing the service:

root at arrugas:/etc/samba# smbclient -L localhost -U Administrator
Enter Administrator's password:
Domain=[EXAMPLE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.17-Debian]

Sharename       Type      Comment
---------       ----      -------
netlogon        Disk
sysvol          Disk
IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.1.17-Debian)
Domain=[EXAMPLE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.17-Debian]

Server               Comment
---------            -------

Workgroup            Master

Seems that everything is Ok, but, there is something that i consider a
problem.

Despite joining a Windows XP or Windows 7 into the domain "EXAMPLE" the
computer name is:

PC1.example.com

And the authentication for users is:

EXAMPLE\User - or - EXAMPLE.COM\User

Both work.

Anyway, the problem is, i want the domain in the description of computer
propierties to be "EXAMPLE" just that, not "EXAMPLE.COM" but there's no way
to make the Realm and the Domaing option to be the same.

¿Is there anyway to approach to the result i want?

Thank you.