[Samba] Samba 3 AD Member Server Strangeness

Brian.Huffman at dupont.com Brian.Huffman at dupont.com
Mon Jun 22 08:26:03 MDT 2015

On Monday, June 22, 2015 9:39 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 22/06/15 14:26, Brian.Huffman at dupont.com wrote:
> > I'm just afraid that if I don't know what the RID range for the domain is,
> then I can't pick the right range.  How can I guarantee that there won't be a
> user that's outside of the new range that I select?  Is it ok to just leave that
> range out of my configuration?
>
> OK, the RID range on an AD domain will start at '1000' and go up from there, if
> you are worried about not mapping a user or group, add a few nines to the
> end of the range i.e.  idmap config ABC:range =
> 10000-99999999999
>
> You *need* the range setting!
>
> Rowland

Thank you!  This fixed it!

I'm wondering - if we only have this one server and it's not critical that the UIDs and GIDs are deterministic, would it make more sense to just use a basic UID / GID mapping?  Is that still supported? I believe it is called "default winbind tdb" in the online samba docs.

Regards,
Brian

transfers of data to third parties.

The dupont.com http://dupont.com web address may be used for a limited period of time by the following
divested businesses that are no longer affiliated in any way with DuPont:
Borealis Polymers NV
Jacob Holm & Sonner Holding A/S (Jacob Holm)
Kuraray Co., Ltd

DuPont accepts no liability or responsibility for the content or use of communications
sent or received on behalf of such divested businesses or for the consequences of
any actions taken on the basis of such communications.