[Samba] Samba upgrade issue . . .

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 19 12:00:12 MDT 2015

On 19/06/15 17:43, Steve Ankeny wrote:
> On 06/16/2015 04:57 AM, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
>> Ok Steve,
>>
>> Now its time to edit the status file of the packages.
>> make a backup of : /var/lib/dpkg/status
>> open it with an editor.
>> search for "Package samba" , you probly see" installed ok
>> not-configured.
>> and change status to :  Status: install ok installed
>>
>> after the change run : apt-get -f install
>> that should do the trick.
>>
>> Greetz,
>>
>> Louis
>
> sorry for the delay, my e-mail provider took two days to recover from
> a server crash

> ran the upgrade normally, and received the same errors beginning with
>
> dpkg: error processing package samba (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
> status 1
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of winbind:
>  winbind depends on samba (= 2:4.1.18+dfsg-3~inverse1); however:
>   Package samba is not configured yet.
>
> edited '/var/lib/dpkg/status' changing 'installed ok half-configured'
> to 'installed ok installed'
>
> then installed half-configured packages only with "-f" option
>
> adam at sogo:~$ sudo apt-get -f install samba winbind libnss-winbind
> libpam-winbind openchangeproxy openchangeserver python-ocsmanager
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> libnss-winbind is already the newest version.
> libnss-winbind set to manually installed.
> libpam-winbind is already the newest version.
> libpam-winbind set to manually installed.
> openchangeproxy is already the newest version.
> openchangeserver is already the newest version.
> python-ocsmanager is already the newest version.
> samba is already the newest version.
> winbind is already the newest version.
> 6 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
> dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 704 package
> 'samba':
>  Config-Version for package with inappropriate Status
>

> It throws an error on the status line.
>
> Any suggestions?  Should I attempt to upgrade Samba only (without
> 'winbind,' etc.)?
>
> I am beginning to wonder why I need 'winbind' with a Samba-AD-DC (it's
> not running), and although Inverse includes an upgrade to the
> 'winbind' packages, it may be I simply might not need it installed.
>
> It would be better to purge something I'm not using instead of having
> to purge the Samba packages.
>
> Would purging the 'winbind' packages resolve my problems with the
> upgrade of Samba?  On the other hand, is that the meaning of the
> error, "subprocess installed post-installation script returned error
> exit status 1"?
>
> I do not know what it's doing at that point, and I don't know how to
> [...]

OK, there appears to be something wrong with the inverse samba packages,
I created a VM, installed latest Ubuntu 14.04 server, updated this,
installed samba:

apt-get install samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-dev
samba-dsdb-modules samba-libs samba-vfs-modules smbclient winbind
python-samba libnss-winbind libpam-winbind libsmbclient libwbclient0

didn't do anything else except added:

deb http://inverse.ca/ubuntu-nightly trusty trusty

To /etc/apt/sources.list

ran 'apt-get update' and then 'apt-get upgrade'

This lead to:

   libldb-dev libldb1 libnss-winbind libpam-winbind libsmbclient
libwbclient0
   linux-generic-lts-utopic linux-headers-generic-lts-utopic
   linux-image-generic-lts-utopic python-ldb python-samba samba samba-common
   samba-common-bin samba-dev samba-dsdb-modules samba-libs
samba-vfs-modules
   smbclient winbind
   libparse-pidl-perl libtalloc-dev libtalloc2 libtdb-dev libtdb1 libtevent0
   python-talloc python-tdb tdb-tools
9 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 20 not to upgrade.
Need to get 468 kB of archives.
After this operation, 253 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

Installed the packages and then ran 'apt-get update' and then 'apt-get
upgrade' again

Calculating upgrade... Done
   libldb-dev libldb1 libnss-winbind libpam-winbind libsmbclient
libwbclient0
   linux-generic-lts-utopic linux-headers-generic-lts-utopic
   linux-image-generic-lts-utopic python-ldb python-samba samba samba-common
   samba-common-bin samba-dev samba-dsdb-modules samba-libs
samba-vfs-modules
   smbclient winbind
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 20 not to upgrade.

I 'think' I could probably force the upgrade with 'apt-get
dist-upgrade', but I also think I wouldn't be running Trusty any more
due to the installation of the Utopic kernel.

therefore, Inverse packages *must* be borked, if they will not cleanly
upgrade standard distro packages.

Rowland