[Samba] (Samba 4.2.2) wbinfo -i does not get the (correct) unix primary group gid

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 19 04:22:29 MDT 2015

On 19/06/15 11:07, Frank Grantz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> i think i found the root cause of my post "wbinfo -i WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND on samba 4.2.2":
>
> The 4.2.2 Version of wbinfo -i does not get the unix primary group gid as defined in the Active Directory. Instead it gets the gid of the Windows primary Group (Macintosh and posix compatible).
>
> The old  3.3.15 Version of wbinfo does that correctly. I have both samba 3.3.15 and samba 4.2.2 installed and both are AD member of the same AD Domain (same AD Server).
>
> wbinfo -i produce different results.
>
> Is this a hint for me to clean up my AD Setup in a way that Windows Primary Group and Unix primary group are the same for all my AD Accounts? Or is it a bug in 4.4.2. that wbinfo -i does not get the unix primary group id as defined in the active directory?
>
> regards
>
> Frank

OK, I now have a VM running Centos 7 with Sernet-Samba 4.2.2, this is
setup just like I would setup a Debian client and it works, 'wbinfo -i
rowland' returns nearly the same result as on a Debian client i.e.
Centos returns the Display Name as well.

Centos:
wbinfo -i rowland
rowland:*:10000:10000:Rowland Penny:/home/rowland:/bin/bash

Debian:
wbinfo -i rowland
rowland:*:10000:10000::/home/rowland:/bin/bash

'id rowland' doesn't work on Centos, but I am sure that is only because
I haven't yet setup PAM.

So, we need to know just how you installed samba, what packages have you
installed ?

Rowland