[Samba] Installation trouble and success

Per Danielsson pd at sics.se
Thu Jun 18 07:58:55 MDT 2015

Hi!

[Ubuntu 14.04.2, Samba 4.1.6]

When attempting to install Samba 4 according to
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO
I encountered the following problem when testing the installation with smbclient:
"tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME"

It turned out that the file /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba/vfs/acl_xattr.so was missing
so installing the package
samba-vfs-modules
did the trick.

That package is listed as "recommends" on
http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/samba.

It should probably be listed as "depends".

I should report this to Canonical, I guess, but perhaps someone reading this list can benefit from this as well.

Cheers,
PD