[Samba] wbinfo -i WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND on samba 4.2.2

Frank Grantz frankgrantz at gmx.de
Thu Jun 18 07:11:52 MDT 2015

Hi,

We are planning an update from Samba 3.x to 4.2.2 and installed Samba
4.2.2 on a test VM (samba-test).

samba-test should be a basic AD member like in this example: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server#Set_up_a_basic_Member_Server_smb.conf

With both our old config and a new one created analog to https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server#Set_up_a_basic_Member_Server_smb.conf
we are getting errors:

#wbinfo -i <testuser>
failed to call wbcGetpwnam: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Could not get info for user <testuser>

#id <testuser>
id: <testuser>: no such user

Both commands work on our Samba 3.x machine.

I did a test with log level = 10. When i submit a "wbinfo -i <testuser>"
i can see various Info coming from the Active Directory like primary_gid ans so on. Via ldapsearch i am too getting Unix uid and gid from active Directory. Any ideas why wbinfo -i does not work on the fresh  4.2.2 install?

regards

Frank