[Samba] Default password recovery feature

Paul paul.de_vlieger at moniut.univ-bpclermont.fr
Wed Jun 17 01:24:47 MDT 2015

Hi,
we are using Samba4 since the first stable release, and we are fully satisfied.

Our configuration is 2 DCs on opensuse13, samba 4.1.16 + bind, full sync
(ad/gpo/netlogon), ~1k users, ~700 computers.
We migrated to samba4 from the classic samba3/ldap backend without any big issue.

We have the possibility to reset the password to the default one using a web
form. On samba3/ldap we used the attribute "sambaPasswordHistory" to store this
default password and restore it on request. This default password is stored as
plaintext.

How can I do this in Samba4 and AD schema? I digged a little bit in password
history in AD but the comparison is done with hashes. I don't want to store this
in a third party database...

Thank for your support,
Paul