[Samba] Checking for library ldap: not found

Petre cpetreg at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 14 13:55:41 MDT 2015

Hi,
I try to install samba-4.2.2.tar.gz (first I uninstalled the already existing samba-4.1.0) on a Slackware-14.1 system and 4.0.5 kernel.At the ./configure level I receive:
.....Checking for library ldap: not found
Checking for ldap_init: not found
Checking for ldap_init_fd: not found
Checking for ldap_initialize: not found
Checking for ldap_set_rebind_proc: not found
Checking for library ldap: not found
Checking for ldap_add_result_entry: not found
Checking whether ldap_set_rebind_proc takes 3 arguments: ok
/samba-4.2.2/sources3/wscript:685: error: LDAP support not found.
Try installing libldap2-dev or openldap-devel.
Otherwise, use --without-ldap to build without LDAP support.
LDAP support is required for the LDAP passdb backend, LDAP idmap backends and ADS.
ADS support improves communication with Active Directory domain controllers.
What could be the meaning of such an error ?

I have to tell you that: - First I installed openldap from sources; I intend to use it on a different port, other than 389; now it is stopped.
 - Then I installed some PAM modules (including Net::LDAP), Linux-PAM, pam_ldap, nss_ldap, perl-ldap, smbldap-tools.I don't understand how these pieces of software could interfere with my samba .... so I tend to think that they are not responsible to those errors.

Thanks,Pit