[Samba] Windows 10 acting like Win 9x client?

harry-fox at Safe-mail.net harry-fox at Safe-mail.net
Fri Jun 12 08:07:37 MDT 2015

Hi,

first of all: I know that samba 3 is EOL, still this important to me, since I have several machines running worldwide with CentOS5 with samba 3, which I can't change at the moment.

I wanted to test if adding a Windows 10 machine to a NT4 style domain would still work. Joining the domain worked without problems, but than I ran into the problem that users with a roaming profile would only get a temporary profile while trying to log in.
So I did some digging with tcpdump to find out why this happens. While doing that I realized that Windows 10 tries to find the profile in whatever folder I tell it with the "logon home" directive. But even if "logon home" points to the profile, it doesn't open the profile. It does a Check Directory Request gets a Respons and will then do a Tree Disconnect.
Does this behaviour mean Windows 10 acts like a Win 9x client? According to the man page the logon home directive should only influence the behaviour of a Win 9x client. Is there a way to force Windows 10 via a samba directive to behave differently? Or does this look like an entire Windows problem?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!