[Samba] Removing a Domain Controller

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 12 02:56:11 MDT 2015

On 12/06/15 05:00, Brady, Mike wrote:
> I am in the process of upgrading my Centos 6/Samba 4.1 AD DCs to
> Centos7/Samba 4.2, but I see from a few discussions on the list that
> it is currently not possible to remove an AD DC using samba-tool
> because it does not delete all the FSMO roles.
>
> Can Windows tools be used to remove the DCs properly?

No, because even though there are 7 FSMO roles, the windows tools only
recognise 5, they do not do anything with the two DNS Infrastructure roles.
There is a vbs script available out there on the net to move the two roles.

> The Samba Wiki page
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Flexible_Single-Master_Operations_(FSMO)_roles#FSMO_role_management_using_the_Windows_GUI
> has a reference to using Windows tools to manage the FSMO roles, but
> the referenced page only says that are 5 roles.
>
> Does following this procedure to move the roles actually transfer all
> 7 roles?

No, not at the moment.

> Is there some other way to properly remove and AD DC using Windows tools?

See above, but there is a patch pending to make samba-tool know about
all 7 FSMO roles, you may want to browse the samba-technical list.

Rowland