[Samba] Increasing database size limit

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 04:22:22 MDT 2015

Here is the answer from Andrew Bartlett sent to samba-technical (which I
don't read enough, so I missed the reply)

Sent by Andrew Bartlett June the 10th at 00:49
Title was "Samba and LDB at 150k+ (was: Re: [Samba] 32 bits limit?)"

No, it isn't possible to split it up that way, because then we would
need complex logic to allow move operations between LDB files, as well
as logic to allow a subtree search correctly.  The split of one ldb file
per partition works very well for a number of operations, because it
matches the LDAP semantics we need.

On the other hand, changing the key-value store under the database, but
keeping the layer above the key-value store largely the same seems like
a massive change, but both layers are themselves quite mature, they just
have not been used together before.

What I'm getting at is that with the right testing, I think this (or
perhaps an alternative using ntdb) is the less risky approach, and the
one the follows the direction the Samba Team would like to go in.

The point of database It would also be the appropriate way to introduce
other efficiencies in the database format (such as a dual
normalised/original data store, improved indexes or SD caching).