[Samba] vfs_fruit works great on OS X 10.9.5, 10.10.3 notsomuch

Ralph Böhme rb at sernet.de
Thu Jun 11 00:35:16 MDT 2015

Hi David,

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 09:31:49PM +0000, Morgan, David S wrote:
> I'm very happy to see the work done on vfs_fruit.  This has been a
> pain-point for our users for a long time now, and it seems like we're
> finally close to a solution.  Thanks, Ralph!

da nicht für! ;)

> That said, we're still having some issues.  I've installed Samba 4.2.2
> from the SerNet Ubuntu package repo on a test VM running Xubuntu 14.04.2
> LTS.  I've set up Samba with a simple share and have populated a
> directory "lots_of_files" with ~10,000 files.
>
> When I connect from a Mac running 10.9.5 over a VPN from home (VM is on
> a host at work), and browse the directory lots_of_files, the directory
> listing shows up almost instantly (~7 seconds).  When I browse from a
> Mac running 10.10.3 over the same type of VPN connection, it goes for
> over 3 minutes without showing anything.  I've tried both tests over a
> wired and wifi connection, and the results are the same.

Hm, works for me. Just tested with a directory with 10k files, Samba
git master in a Linux VM on my Macbook with 10.10.3 and a forced 50 ms
latency on the link between server and client (using Linux tc). The
directory content is shown after 6 seconds.

> Perhaps something has changed with one of the recent OS X 10.10 updates?
> Not sure.  Below is my smb.conf.  Let me know if you need any additional
> information.

smb.conf looks good.

Can you share a tcpdump?

-Ralph

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de,mailto:kontakt@sernet.de