[Samba] security = server functionality with Samba 4

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 10 02:21:04 MDT 2015

On 10/06/15 08:43, Patrick Banholzer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having a problem with a samba installation on Ubuntu 14.04 (Samba
> 4.1.6).
>
> Usually we join Linux Systems to the Microsoft ADS and use security =
> domain. But now I have a system that can not (is not allowed to) be joined
> to the domain - but should authenticate through the domain. With Ubuntu
> 12.04 Systems (Samba 3.6.3) we used a configuration with security = server
> but this seems not to work anymore.
>
> Official Samba Docs (
> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba4-HOWTO/pt03.html ...) are empty
> and googling didn't help either.
>
> Can you give me a hint what configuration would work? E.g. an example
> config?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Patrick

Yes, 'security = server' is no more and you should also be using
'security = ads' to join a samba 4 based system to an AD domain.

If you only need guest access to the machine, you can use:

Security = User
Map to guest = Bad User

If your users must authenticate, then I think you are going to have to
join the machine to the domain.

Rowland