[Samba] samba member file server failer

David Bear dwbear75 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 20:26:23 MDT 2015

I have setup samba 4.2.x as an AD DC in a linux container. This is an
privileged container. I am using the brdging interface and have bound samba
to the specific interface I want.

As an ADDC it is working great.

Now I go to the linux host, and created a samba 4.2 file server. I was able
to join it to the domain. I followed the member server instructions at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server .

There were a couple of things that were confusing. Since I am installing an
an ubuntu 14 LTS server I followed the debian side of the instructions.

Instructions for starting the daemons are given at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/InitScript.  Towards the end of the
wiki we were given instructions for both an init.d script and an upstart
configuration file. I have grabbed the init.d/ script, made the
modfications to point things to /usr/local/samba installation -- and when I
run it, nothing happens.. So I start samba using sbin/samba and the deamons
start.

However at the tail end of my log file I see

[2015/06/09 19:22:16.752250,  0]
../source4/smbd/server.c:475(binary_smbd_main)
  At this time the 'samba' binary should only be used for either:
  'server role = active directory domain controller' or to access the ntvfs
file server with 'server services = +smb' or the rpc proxy with 'dcerpc
endpoint servers = remote'
  You should start smbd/nmbd/winbindd instead for domain member and
standalone file server tasks
[2015/06/09 19:22:16.752314,  0]
../lib/util/become_daemon.c:111(exit_daemon)
  STATUS=daemon failed to start: Samba detected misconfigured 'server role'
and exited. Check logs for details, error code 22

since I followed the member server how to -- I am wondering if something
there is left out?

Here's my smb.conf

/usr/local/samba# less etc/smb.conf
[global]

netbios name = srv1
workgroup = INTERNAL
security = ADS
realm = INTNERAL.XCITY.COM
kerberos method = secrets and keytab

idmap config *:backend = tdb
idmap config *:range = 2000-9999
idmap config IN:backend = ad
idmap config IN:schema_mode = rfc2307
idmap config IN:range = 10000-99999

winbind nss info = rfc2307
winbind trusted domains only = no
winbind use default domain = yes
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind refresh tickets = yes

bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = em1
log level = 5
log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

----
which matches the how to.

So there seems to be something missing from the how to .

Any suggestions ?
Also the %m macro expansion fails for the log file. It actually calls the
log vile %m...