[Samba] using the DC as a file Server in AD

Pisch Tamás pischta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 04:47:28 MDT 2015

Hi,

there is a recommendation in the Samba AD DC howto: "We do not recommend
using the Domain Controller as a file Server." We have two sites. We have
two Samba3 servers now with ldap on site1, and one Samba3 BDC on site2. We
have ~200 users, and around 50 clients connect to the servers at the same
time on site1, and around 20 clients connect to the BDC on site2. On the
BDCs there are file shares. If I upgrade to Samba4 and switch to AD, I
would like to use DC2 and DC3 as file servers too. What issues can cause
this setup, and how serious those are?

Thanks,
Tamas.