[Samba] Two-way forest trust with selective authentication and SAMBA 3.6 as member

Christian Reischl christian.reischl at ivv.fraunhofer.de
Mon Jun 8 12:39:21 MDT 2015

Hello Everybody,

we have authentication problems with the mentioned configuration.

Current situation:
We have two Windows 2008 R2 domains (currently on 2003 level) in
separate forests. Recently we created a two-way trust with selective
authentication between them.

A Debian Squeeze LTS machine running SAMBA 3.6.6 (latest Backports
version) is member of our primary domain and provides file shares.

The problem:
Users of the trusted domain (TRUSTDOM) aren't able to access shares
hosted on the SAMBA Server (FILE2) in the primary domain (PRIMDOM). A
username/password dialogue gets shown instead. We've correctly granted
the necessary "allowed to authenticate" right to all corresponding
users. In contrast accessing a share on a Windows machine works as expected.

Maybe I have to give some additional users somewhere the "allowed to
authenticate" permission. Please help me with that. I've tried to fix it
for so many hours without success. Should I upgrade SAMBA and/or Debian?
Do you have any advice?

Authentication with "wbinfo -a TRUSTDOM+administrator" works fine while
"wbinfo -i TRUSTDOM+administrator" fails with:
failed to call wbcGetpwnam: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Could not get info for user trustdom+user

log.wb-TRUSTDOM (entry occurs directly after "wbinfo -i"):
[2015/06/08 12:01:45.348081,  0] libads/sasl.c:908(ads_sasl_spnego_bind)
   kinit succeeded but ads_sasl_spnego_krb5_bind failed: KDC policy
rejects request
The same error appears if I enter "wbinfo -a" in combination with a
username lacking the "allowed to authenticate" right.

smb.conf:
[global]
         workgroup = PRIMDOM
         realm = INT.PRIMDOM.DE
         server string = FILE2
         security = ADS

         winbind separator = +
         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         idmap config * : range = 1000000-1999999
         idmap config PRIMDOM : backend = rid
         idmap config PRIMDOM : range = 10000-49999
         idmap config TRUSTDOM : backend = rid
         idmap config TRUSTDOM : range = 50000-99999
         winbind enum users = yes
         winbind enum groups = yes

         socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE

         interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24 192.168.2.1/24 127.0.0.1
         bind interfaces only = yes

         follow symlinks = yes
         wide links = yes
         unix extensions = no

         log level = 0

         load printers = no
         disable spoolss = yes

[Share]
         comment = Test Share
         path = /srv/smb/Share
         read only = No
         create mask = 0777
         directory mask = 0777
         force unknown acl user = Yes
         inherit acls = yes

Output of "net rpc trustdom list -U PRIMDOM+administrator":
Trusted domains list:

TRUSTDOM           S-1-x-xx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx

Trusting domains list:

TRUSTDOM           S-1-x-xx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx

Output of "wbinfo -m":
BUILTIN
FILE2
PRIMDOM
TRUSTDOM

Output of "id TRUSTDOM+administrator":
id: TRUSTDOM+administrator: No such user

Output of "chown TRUSTDOM+administrator Share/":
chown: invalid user: „TRUSTDOM+administrator“

"wbinfo -u" and "getent passwd" only shows users of PRIMDOM.

I've already tried these additional steps without success:
http://anexinetisg.blogspot.de/2014/05/how-to-properly-create-two-way-external.html
http://anexinetisg.blogspot.de/2014/09/forest-trust-issue-with-selective.html

Kind regards,
Christian