[Samba] Added RFC2307 --> Unable to convert SID (S-1-1-0)

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 06:42:24 MDT 2015

OK - the error messages have stopped now.

I copied idmap.ldb from the 'good' DC to the 'bad' DC (rather than
simply removing idmap.ldb from the bad DC when restarting samba, as I
had been doing previously).

Things seem to be working this way... although I am not sure why
copying this file rather than letting samba recreate it itself, seems
to have fixed it :(

That part is reproducible, at least. Removing idmap.ldb and restarting
samba broke it again for me - and even stopping samba, copying
idmap.ldb back over, and restarting samba didn't fix it until I also
ran 'net cache flush' (no samba restart needed).

To recap and aid my own sanity, then.. an overall summary (not
including the glitch above) is I think as follows:

- On a DC, winbind options in smb.conf do not work
- The only options for consistent ID mappings across DCs are to
manually copy idmap.ldb files (not great if adding/changing users!) or
to use rfc2307
- Using winbindd on my DCs, i.e. with 'winbind' specified in
nsswitch.conf, appears to be working at the moment.

I think that's how things are running at the moment.

My smb.conf has no 'winbind' or 'idmap config' lines in it, and only
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

Still on my list to look at, at some level:
- sssd had issues for me when using rfc2307 ('ldap_id_mapping =
False'), it wouldn't start up
- Weirdness with 'samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset'.. running sysvolcheck
immediately after sysvolcheck doesn't always work (fails with 'raise
ProvisioningError('%s ACL on GPO directory %s %s does not match
expected value %s from GPO object' % (acl_type(direct_db_access),
path, fsacl_sddl, acl))'

--
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
research, would it?"