[Samba] No builtin nor plugin backend for ldapsam found

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 3 06:58:05 MDT 2015

On 03/06/15 13:42, Francesco Malvezzi wrote:

>>> it is Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy, with:
>>>
>>> ii  libldap2-dev:i386                    2.4.31-2
>>> i386         OpenLDAP development libraries
>>> ii  libsasl2-dev                         2.1.25.dfsg1-6+deb7u1
>>> i386         Cyrus SASL - development files for authentication
>>> abstraction library
>>>
>>> do you need extra details? Did I answer to your question?
>>>
>>> thank for your time,
>>>
>>> Francesco
>> No, I don't need any more details and yes, you did answer my question
>> (well sort of, I am sure you installed more packages than that).
> Yes!
>
>> Stop building samba, add this to /etc/apt/sources.list
>>
>> # wheezy-backports
>> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main
>> deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main
>>
>> NOTE: replace 'uk' with your country code, probably 'it'
>>
>> run 'apt-get update'
>>
>> install samba with:
>>
>> apt-get -t wheezy-backports install samba samba-common-bin samba-common
>> samba-libs samba-vfs-modules samba-dsdb-modules tdb-tools libwbclient0
>> libsmbclient winbind ldb-tools zip arj mktemp acl attr quota krb5-config
>> libnss-winbind libpam-winbind libpam-krb5 krb5-user
>>
>> This will get you samba 4.1.17
> that could be fine, but I have already samba installed in /opt and I
> would like to install side-by-side samba3 and samba4.

To what end? you cannot run two instances of samba at the same time
without jumping through hoops.

> But I understand it takes a lot of time to debug my faulty installation.

What is wrong with your existing installation ?

> In a working install, where is located ldapsam backend lib? ($PREFIX/lib)

It is where ever your installation of openldap puts it, from memory on
wheezy it is likely to be /var/lib/ldap, but you need something to read
it, ldapsearch, LAM or similar.

Rowland