[Samba] Samba 4.2 AD, DC and winbindd

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 3 04:01:19 MDT 2015

On 03/06/15 10:26, Jacky Chan wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 03, 2015 05:13 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>> Can anyone tell me the different between 4.1 winbind and 4.2 winbindd?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> 'winbind' is built into the 'samba' daemon and is limited when
>> compared with the separate 'winbindd' deamon, the 'winbindd' deamon
>> is the same one that is used on a Member Server.
>>
> If samba (/usr/sbin/samba) already built in winbind, why we need to
> run winbindd in AD or DC?
> Or is samba going to drop the built-in winbind in the future?
>
>> Note, the wiki page IMHO is wrong!
>>
> I second that
>> Rowland

The builtin 'winbind' is very limited and was changed to use the
separate 'winbindd' to allow (along with other benefits) better trusts
with other domains.
If you start the 'samba' deamon it will start any other required
separate deamons, before samba version 4.2.0 it would start the 'smbd'
deamon, from 4.2.0 it now also starts the 'winbindd' daemon, unless you
explicitly tell it not to.

Rowland