[Samba] sssd on DC for fileserver

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 17:37:14 MDT 2015

Hi,

Some advice, if I may..

I have two Samba4 domain controllers, that I recently switched to
using sssd (against these same DCs) for UNIX user authentication -
this part works perfectly.

However, I am using one of these as a Samba file server also. When I
create a file via a SMB share, the UNIX UID the file is owned by is
the old 'winbind' UID (e.g. 3000007) rather than the new 'sssd' UID
(e.g. 1514701182)

I have /etc/nsswitch.conf set to use 'files sss' for passwd and group.
'id <username>' works fine and returns the correct (new) UID.

'getent -s sss passwd <username>' returns the new UID (that I want to use).
'getent -s winbind passwd <username>' returns the old UID (that I don't want).

I've restarted samba, I've run 'net cache flush', I've tried adding
"-winbind" to the 'server services' line in smb.conf.

Presumably I've got something fundamentally wrong.. but I'm not sure
what. Can this even be done? I want files created/accessed via Samba
for my AD users to have the same UID as when the same user logs in via
ssh or similar (and gets the UID via sssd)...

Cheers,

Jonathan

--
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
research, would it?"