[Samba] Issues with OS/2 and Samba 4

dam dam at opencsw.org
Tue Jun 2 06:56:07 MDT 2015

Hi folks,

I made some tests with OS/2 (really!) and Samba 4 (tested with 4.1.17)
and found some issues:

1. Domain Logon

When doing a domain logon with "logon" then we get an error message in
the log:

[2015/06/02 12:40:07.291956,  2]
../source4/nbt_server/dgram/netlogon.c:187(nbtd_mailslot_netlogon_handler)
   unknown netlogon op 0 from 10.144.41.131:138
[2015/06/02 12:40:07.292269,  1]
../librpc/ndr/ndr.c:296(ndr_print_debug)
        netlogon: struct nbt_netlogon_packet
           command                  : LOGON_REQUEST (0)
           req                      : union nbt_netlogon_request(case 0)
           logon0: struct NETLOGON_LOGON_REQUEST
               computer_name            : 'TS-20107'
               user_name                : 'TS'
               mailslot_name            : '\MAILSLOT\TEMP\NETLOGON'
               request_count            : 0x00 (0)
               lmnt_token               : 0x0001 (1)
               lm20_token               : 0xffff (65535)

When looking at the current source the respective LOGON_REQUEST is
missing from the switch at

https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob;f=source4/nbt_server/dgram/netlogon.c;h=0e5294cb94c42c13ef38d70885303998c75a7a39;hb=HEAD#l176

In Samba 3 this branch was still present and domain logon worked.

2. Mounting shares fails

When trying to mount a share from Samba 4 with "net use x:
\\<server>\<sharename>" there is an
error in the log of the form

[2015/06/02 13:01:29.655435,  2]
../libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c:437(ntlm_password_check)
   ntlm_password_check: invalid LanMan password length (0) for user TS

First, the variable for length in the sourcecode seems wrong:

https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob;f=libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c;h=7f91b52a5fd78982d85a300dc610329a7bd9a801;hb=HEAD#l435

I guess it should read "lm_response->length" in the debug message
instead of "nt_response->length".

The value of "lm_response->length" is actually 1 in this case.

So here is the question: are these supposed to work or is this
considered legacy/unsupported/etc.?
Is OS/2 still a supported client in Samba 4?
The respective configuration options for smb.conf like "lanman auth" are
still present in the code.

If it is supposed to work I would be glad to help debugging these
issues.

Best regards

   -- Dago