[Samba] ACLs on OUs

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 05:51:55 MDT 2015

Hi,

On ADUC version I'm using on Windows 7 the checkbox to "prevent object from
accidental removal" is checked when creating a new OU, that's why I said
"by default". Anyway this behaviour suit my needs: I won't be there once
this project would arrived in production mode and so I can't have any
confidence on how it will be managed...

The workaround I found was using ADSIedit tool to force heritage of ACLs
from parent OU. This tools gives nice choices about which kind of objects
would inherit these permissions and this heritage is set per permissions.
So this grant me to only force heritage of "removal is denied to everyone"
on OU objects which are children of current OU.

Regarding your proposal to fill an enhancement request it could be a good
thing to have a tool provided by Samba which would be easier to use than
"samba-tool dsacl" which seems to be there to modify security descriptor
but which is not really clear on how to use it.
But honestly according to the workaround previously explained and the lot
of work still to be done on Samba 4, I'm not sure this deserve a request
right now...

cheers,

mathias