[Samba] Zero-blocks in large files (smb in libvirt/kvm RHEL)

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Tue Jun 2 01:02:53 MDT 2015

On 06/01/2015 10:41 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> What would be helpful is discovering if this is a client or
> server bug. Do you get issues when running rsync on a Windows
> client against the same Samba share ?

It's number 1 on my todo-list to find that out.
What I can say so far is, that the Debian 6 client was using the exact
same way/versions/tools for years to write to a Windows server storage
before - without problems.

Now the Windows server was replaced by RHEL+Samba.

It's tricky to triage it, since the zeroblock-issue only appears
"sometimes"...

I've noticed that the Samba logfiles on the RHEL server are mostly empty
(even smbd.log). Where can I configure the logging to see if there's
something happening?

Thanks,
Pb