[Samba] 32 bits limit?

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 08:14:04 MDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 8:03 AM, Rowland Penny
<rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 01/06/15 13:47, mathias dufresne wrote:
>>
>> Sorry I don't understand you answer. For me 32 bits platforms are dead on
>> server side. So nobody would set up a new AD using Samba 4 above a 32 bits
>> system.

>>> because nobody expects such setups on 32bit?
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_file_support
>>>

>>> --
>>>

> Hi, I think there is some misunderstanding here, probably because your
> subject was: '32 bits limit?'
> I think what you mean is, 'even though I  am using a 64bit system, I can
> only have a 4GB  ldb file.', this is a valid question that I think will have
> to answered by one of the devs.
>
> Rowland
>
> Rowland

just because it's a 64bit system doesn't automatically mean 64bit
integers, especially when it comes to databases and other data storage
formats.  it's also possible to use 64bit ints on 32bit systems with a
performance penalty, so hopefully it's just a matter of increasing the
size of an internal file pointer variable (likely in multiple places)
and recompiling.