[Samba] How to configure passdb backend with LDAP

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 17:53:19 UTC 2015

On 31/07/15 18:12, Bernd Glückert wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
> > If you mean 'can I set up samba 4 as an AD DC with an LDAP backend
> > instead of the builtin LDAP server' then the answer is no.
>
> does samba 4 works with external LDAP server if it isn't working as AD
> DC? I'm a bit confused because I want to update from samba 3 to 4 and
> using our internal LDAP server to authenticate the users.
>

> cu - Bernd

Anything that can be done with samba 3 can be done with samba 4, be that
being a standalone server, NT-4 style PDC or BDC, or even an AD DC
member server.

You can use LDAP for storing users, groups etc, you can use the tdbsam
backend instead if you want.

All samba 4 does that is different, is that it gives you the option to
have an Active Directory domain, but to do this, you must use the
built-in LDAP, you cannot use an external LDAP server.

Hopes this answers your questions, if not, just ask.

Rowland