[Samba] Performance Problems - DNS Not Responding

David Minard david at scem.uws.edu.au
Thu Jul 30 13:01:46 UTC 2015

G'day All,

	We're having performance problems on our production Samba4 AD.  We have 4 DCs - a "master" and a DC on each of our three campuses.  All running 4.0.25 on Centos6.

	We're seeing that on the "master" when one of the Samba processes uses 100% of the cpu it's using, the DNS fails.  We're using the internal DNS.  This is causing havoc when machines try to register themselves to AD - it fails.  We set up heaps of VMs on the fly to support classes.  At times 50% of these fail due to the DNS not responding.

	Have others seen this sort of thing, and what did they do to fix it?

	I've seen the samba wiki article on changing the DNS from Internal to bind.  I'm thinking that I need to do this so the DNS part of things is taken away from an extremely busy Samba server.  How safe is it to do this?  I will of course back the server up (snapshot).  If something goes wrong, will that stuff up the other DCs, and if I revert the server back, will the other DCs be happy?  We can't break things to fix one issue.

Cheers,
David.
believed to be clean.