[Samba] Samba3 shares cannot be mounted on linux box uisng cifs command , error "CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13"

Mario Pio Russo mariopiorusso at ie.ibm.com
Tue Jul 14 17:19:34 UTC 2015

Thanks Rowland!

few answers to your question:

1) I  used the samba-tool domain classicupgrade to "migrate" the domain for
the pdc to a new Ubuntu server with sernet-samba-4.2.2

2) on the DC, I have configured the service to use the old winbind, as
that's just enaugh for our domain and it looked more stable during the test
phasethe smb.conf of the DC is the following:

[global]
        workgroup = CCDC
        realm = CCDC.LAN
        netbios name = CCDC-SAMBA4-DC1
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

        server services = -winbindd +winbind
        dns forwarder = 9.0.138.50
        #server services = -winbindd +winbind
        idmap config CCDC:backend = ad
        idmap config CCDC:schema_mode = rfc2307
        idmap config CCDC:range = 10000-40000

        # Store UIDs/GIDs for all other domains (including local
        # accounts/groups of this server) in a tdb file
        idmap config *:backend = tdb
        idmap config *:range = 2000-9999

        # Use home directory and shell information from AD
        winbind nss info = rfc2307

        tls enabled  = yes
        tls keyfile  = tls/myKey.pem
        tls certfile = tls/myCert.pem
        tls cafile   =

[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/ccdc.lan/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
        read only = No

3) I will remove the password server as you suggested , thanks

4) the server is present in the domain, and getent group and getent passwd
works correctlly, however it was NOT joined with net ads join, but with net
rpc join, could this make the difference? as I am currentlly thinking of
removing the server from the domain, configure kerberos-workstation and try
the net ads join, what do you think?

again thanks for the help

Mario Pio Russo, System Admin SWG IT Services Dublin, Phone & FAX: +353 1
815 2236, eMail: mariopiorusso at ie.ibm.com
IBM Ireland Product Distribution Limited registered in Ireland with number
92815. Registered Office: IBM House, Shelbourne Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4