[Samba] cifs.ko kernel module versus smb.conf - which SMB protocol version?

Karel Lang AFD lang at afd.cz
Mon Jul 13 09:20:58 UTC 2015

Hello guys,
could someone help me better understand the mechanism of negotiating of
the SMB protocol?

I watch closely samba list and recently there was a talk about the
'smb.conf' parameters like eg. "max protocol =" etc. with regards to
Windows 10 (and other windows clients of diff versions).

I read Jeff_Layton-Linux-CIFS-Client.pdf and

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SMB3_kernel_status

My question is:
1. does those parameters values (like 'max protocol') depend on the
'cifs.ko' version and it's supported SMB version? Meaning it's pointless
to set higher SMB value in smb.conf that the 'cifs.ko' support?

2. does samba server use the 'cifs.ko' to access linux (eg. ext4 of xfs
FS) to serve the windows client requests?

Sorry if those questions might seam stupid to someone, i'm just mere
admin trying to get better understanding of this mechanism.

Thank You

--
*Karel Lang*
*Unix/Linux Administration*