[Samba] Samba4 Join a domain as a DC

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Fri Jul 10 08:12:22 UTC 2015

Hi Roland,

> Hi, Active directory lives on DNS, if no DNS there is no Active Directory.

about this one, while the first part is very true, I'd say that the
second part is only 99.99% correct :-)

Indeed I once had to migrate a win2k-AD domain to samba4-AD with 30
workstations where the DC's DNS service was simply disabled, yeah
_disabled_, and there where no other DC in the domain.

All the workstation found the AD through NetBIOS/WINS and had a external
bind9 for internet browsing. And actually it was working... perhaps not
as it was intended to, but it was working. I don't remember if the DC
was still in mixed mode or not though.

Anyway, I totally agree with you that proper DNS configuration is
paramout to have a well running AD domain!

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon