[Samba] Samba local user without /etc/passwd

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Thu Jul 9 10:15:14 UTC 2015

On 09/07/15 10:34, Rowland Penny wrote:

> A bit lost here, if you are using samba as an AD client, you cannot have
> a local user with the same name as an AD user. Users are either 'local'
> or 'domain', I do not really understand your concept of a 'virtual' user.
>
> Rowland

In short: while my samba server is connected to the AD domain, I would
also like to have some local (non domain) user for other tasks.

It is my understanding that for a local samba user I _need_ to create
the relative unix user (using useradd) and then use the samba-provided
tool smbpasswd. I simply wonder if it is possible to create local users
using _only_ smbpasswd (or equivalent), without messing with the real
local unix user table stored in "/etc/passwd" (hence the world "virtual).

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico