[Samba] SASL DIGEST-MD5 NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER

Arthur Ramsey arthur_ramsey at mediture.com
Tue Jul 7 20:10:34 UTC 2015

I've googled and I believe that SASL method DIGEST-MD5 is supported and
I see it in the samba startup, but it doesn't work.

ldapsearch -Y DIGEST-MD5 -h dc03.mediture.dom
SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Operations error (1)
	additional info: SASL:[DIGEST-MD5]: Failed to start authentication backend: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER

[root at dc03 ~]# samba -i -M single -d3
lpcfg_load: refreshing parameters from /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
samba version 4.2.0 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2014
GENSEC backend 'gssapi_spnego' registered
GENSEC backend 'gssapi_krb5' registered
GENSEC backend 'gssapi_krb5_sasl' registered
GENSEC backend 'sasl-DIGEST-MD5' registered
[...]
Failed to start GENSEC SASL[DIGEST-MD5] server code: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER

I'm using samba 4.2.0 compiled from source using standard configuration
options.  Is there something I'm missing e.g. build dependency, runtime
dependency, build option or configuration?

Thanks,
Arthur