[Samba] Samba4 roaming profiles & ownership of profile.V2 folders [RESOLVED]

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Sun Jul 5 16:11:06 UTC 2015

On 05/07/15 04:47 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 04/07/15 22:53, Gary Dale wrote:

>>> Ah, well this might seem a bit stupid, but if you followed:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_%26_Windows_Profiles
>>>
>>> to the letter and you have this '[Profiles]' in smb.conf, could you
>>> try changing it to '[profiles]' i.e. change the uppercase 'P' to a
>>> lowercase 'p', reload or restart samba then try again.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>
>> Tried it both ways.  :(
>>

> I don't normally use the DC for profiles, so I created a profiles
> share on the DC following the wiki page and setting the permissions
> from windows as the wiki page shows.
> It didn't work!
> I checked everything, comparing it with where I normally do store
> them, there appeared to be no difference, but it just wouldn't work.
> The only difference I could find was the share that did work was
> called '[profiles]' and the one that didn't was called '[Profiles]',
> so I changed it to '[profiles]' on the DC, restarted samba and with
> that slight change it now works.
>
> All I can suggest is that you check everything again, follow the wiki
> page again, do not set the ACLs with setfacl, do it from windows and
> only set the users/groups as show on the wiki page, no others.
>
> Rowland

Thanks Rowland. In my case I've done almost all the testing with the
share & folder names in lower case. I've been through the howto wiki
page mulitiple times and everything looks good and the various suggested
tests all work.

The profiles are all currently being saved so I'll leave it alone for
now (if it ain't broke...) and revisit it if/when I run into another
problem.