[Samba] Samba4 roaming profiles & ownership of profile.V2 folders [RESOLVED]

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Sat Jul 4 00:11:11 UTC 2015

On 03/07/15 07:58 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 03/07/15 01:21 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> Further to above, I added one of the user accounts to the Domain
>>> Admins but still couldn't get a roaming profile to work for it.
>>
>> Hi, have a look here:
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_%26_Windows_Profiles
>>
>> Rowland
>
> Thanks. I'd been trying that without success. The section on using
> ACLs doesn't work in my case for some reason.
>
> For example, the section in preparatory work says to:
>   setfacl -m g:"domain admins":rwx /srv/samba/Demo/
> where I substituted my profiles path for their path. When I run it, I get
>   # setfacl -m g:"domain admins":rwx /home/samba/profiles
>   setfacl: Option -m: Invalid argument near character 3
>
> The AD DC doesn't seem to recognize domain users or groups at all. And
> on the Windows end, the ability to set privileges based on domain
> groups or users seems spotty. Sometimes it works and sometimes it
> doesn't.
>
> Similarly in the section "Profile share with using POSIX ACLs", I
> can't chgrp to a domain group.
>
> What finally worked was to ignore all the errors and just add the
> extra lines to the share definition in smb.conf:
>   store dos attributes = Yes
>   create mask = 0600
>   directory mask = 0700
>   profile acls = yes
>   csc policy = disable
>
> Once I did that (and reloaded the config)  the other profiles started
> working.

Actually, spoke too soon. There is still a minor glitch in that I need a
to connect to a share before the profiles get saved. It doesn't have to
be the profiles share, but if I don't have a share connected, the
profile isn't saved.

Fortunately each workstation is supposed to have at least one connection
to a share.