[Samba] Getent Differences on a DC and a Member Server

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 08:25:32 UTC 2015

On 03/07/15 02:28, David Minard wrote:
> Thank you Felix.
> On 02/07/15 16:18, Felix Matouschek wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I experienced this issue as well, it's currently a limitation of
>> Samba 4.2.2.
>> Samba 4.2.2 DCs do not support pulling home directories and login
>> shells from AD via rfc2307.
>>
>> I solved this issue with the "template homedir" and "template shell"
>> directives.
>> You lose some flexibility but at least it works.
>
>     Lack of flexibility is my main problem.  Unfortunately without
> restructuring how our home directories are set up, I need the
> flexibility.  I need HomeDirectories etc to be pulled from the AD if
> I'm to retire our current LDAP servers and use Samba4 as a replacement.
>>
>> Excerpt from my DC smb.conf:
>>
>> winbind nss info = rfc2307:MYDOMAIN, template
>> template shell = /bin/bash
>> template homedir = /home/users/%U
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Felix
>
>     Just to clarify, is it only the DC that doesn't return desired
> values of HomeDirectory and Shell?

Yes, unfortunately The DC does not return anything for HomeDirectory or
loginShell, this is still true even if you use a version from 4.2.0
which uses 'winbindd' instead of 'winbind'.
The only only way to use all the RFC2307 attributes is to use member
servers & Unix clients, they do not suffer from this problem.

Rowland