[Samba] Computer can't access Sysvol

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 05:00:48 MDT 2015

On 02/07/15 10:32, John Cobley wrote:

> On 01/07/2015 14:59, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On 01/07/15 13:36, John Cobley wrote:
>>> Ok, I've worked out the caching was due to setting up
>>> administratively assigned offline folders.
>>>
>>> However I think I was getting a little mixed up with my servers. The
>>> error log was from a server that still had the share enabled. I've
>>> now removed the share from the config and restarted the Samba
>>> server.  Despite this I am still seeing the error when computers try
>>> to update group policy using this server.  The only way to update
>>> group policy is to change to the main server using DFS.

>> Can we see your smb.conf files ?
>>
>> Rowland
>>
> smb.conf
>> ## Global parameters
>> [global]
>>         netbios name = KINGDOM
>>         workgroup = CHESTER-DC
>>         realm = CHESTER-DC.COMTEK.CO.UK
>>         #Note that setting non-int log levels crashes the replication
>> cron script!
>> #       log level = 10 acls:9
>> #       log level = 1 auth:3 passdb:5 sam:3 smb:3 lanman:3 acls:3
>> locking:3 registry:3
>> #       log level = 1 auth:8 acls:8
>>         include = /etc/samba/smb.common
>>         include = /etc/samba/smb.print
> smb.common
>> [global]
>>         server role = active directory domain controller
>>         dns forwarder = 10.4.4.10
>>         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>>         idmap config * : backend = tdb
>>         idmap config * : range = 1000000-1999999
>> #       idmap config * : backend = autorid
>> #       idmap config * : backend = hash
>> #       idmap config * : range = 4000000-4999999
>>         idmap config CHESTER-DC : backend  = ad
>>         idmap config CHESTER-DC : range = 1000-999999
>>         rpc_server:spoolss = external
>>         rpc_daemon:spoolssd = fork
>>         load printers = no
>>         cups server = printers.comtek.co.uk
>>         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>>         #kb
>>         max log size = 1000
>>         panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
>>
>> [netlogon]
>>         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/chester-dc.comtek.co.uk/scripts
> [...]

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your smb.conf files, apart
from this:

         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         idmap config * : range = 1000000-1999999
#       idmap config * : backend = autorid
#       idmap config * : backend = hash
#       idmap config * : range = 4000000-4999999
         idmap config CHESTER-DC : backend  = ad
         idmap config CHESTER-DC : range = 1000-999999

And the only thing wrong with it is, it wont do anything on a DC.

Could you check just what is in /var/lib/samba/sysvol and compare it
with a working samba DC. I added a DC to my domain and had problems with
sysvol and you could have the same problem.
Also what OS are you using and what version of samba4

Rowland