[Samba] Getent Differences on a DC and a Member Server

David Minard david at scem.uws.edu.au
Thu Jul 2 04:18:14 UTC 2015

G'day All,

     I'm running Centos 7, Samba4.2.2.  (SSSD is NOT running (not even
installed on the Member Server))

/etc/nsswitch on both:

passwd:     files winbind
group:      files winbind

the winbind libs have been sym-linked as described in the tiki.  All
seems to be working well on both the DC and Member Server.

Both smb.fonfs have:

   idmap config *:backend = tdb
   idmap config *:range = 3000000-4000000
   idmap config AD:backend = ad
   idmap config AD:schema_mode = rfc2307
   idmap config AD:range = 600-2999999

   winbind nss info = rfc2307
   winbind trusted domains only = no
   winbind use default domain = yes
   winbind enum users  = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes
   winbind refresh tickets = Yes

On the DC I've changed winbind to winbindd in the "server services"
line, and winbindd starts up as expected.

Can anyone tell me why I get slightly different answers from 'getent
passwd [username]' from a DC and a Member Server.

eg: getent passwd fred

DC:

fred:*:4999:1001:Fred Nerks:/home/AD/fred:/bin/false

On a Member Server:

fred:*:4999:1001:Fred Nerks:/home/fred:/bin/tcsh

On the DC the HomeDirectory and Shell Fields are not what I defined for
user Fred.

On the Member Server, Homedirectory and Shell are what I defined for
user Fred.

Why is there a difference?

believed to be clean.