[Samba] resolv.conf setup and DNS issue

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 29 13:36:13 MST 2015

On 29/01/15 20:22, Tim wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what IP(s) should be set for each domain controller? If there are two should both have their own IP set in resolv.conf or should they have the IPs of both DCs? Or possibly just 127.0.0.1 on each DC?
>
> Second thing I had was that clients with DNS set to both DCs could not resolve a special host in the internet while the DNS forwarder can. I needed to restart DCs to get it work again.
>
> Thanks
> Tim

I just use 127.0.0.1 on each DC, after all, the DC should use itself for
DNS and if something has gone wrong, having another DC to ask may not be
any use.

What could have happened in your case is that a client could have asked
the first DC for a host on the internet, this DC didn't know so it asks
the second DC, this DC doesn't know either so it asks the First DC and
so on, a bit like table tennis :-D

Rowland