[Samba] nmbd keeping old data

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Thu Jan 29 10:12:08 MST 2015

We are having a problem that I suspect is due to nmbd giving out obsolete
information. Unfortunately the problem can not be reproduced consistently.

We have a build system that runs on our Solaris machines where the final
files are copied into a distribution directory after being built. Note
that copying a new file on top of an old one does not change the file ID.

PC users sometimes will see the file as having the date as it was before
the updated file was copied into place.
For users running Windows XP, they do get the new contents. For users
running Windows 7, they may well get the old contents as Windows 7
will cache recently accessed files and not re-transfer them if the date
has not changed.

I have tried touching the containing directory and touching the file to
update the dates again, but the PCs contunue to see the old dates. If
I delete the file and then copy it back in again then the PCs finally
see the new file correctly.

Am I correct in thinking that nmbd is sometimes caching old information
and refusing to update it's view of things? Are there any settings that
affect how nmbd may cache data?

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com