[Samba] Installing Samba 3

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 02:56:12 MST 2015

On Wednesday 28 January 2015 18:13:07 Ricky Nance wrote:
> Gary, I think what he is trying to say is that this functionality still
> exists, but you need to use different samba config options to make it work.
> Please see the following wiki (which I referenced for you on the samba
> mailing list).
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Public_Samba_Server
>

> If you post your config (you can use XXX as masking if you need to hide
> parts of it) and explain how it works currently or how you expect it to
> work, I am sure someone would give you advice on how to get there. As far
> as I know all the functionality of "security = share" still exists, though
> it works a bit differently now.
>
> Ricky

Hi Ricky,

I am aware of the setup as described. I have already looked at that WIKI as
well as a large number of similar posts elsewhere. The problem with this
setup is that all shares become unprotected - i.e. passwords not required.

As I server wages information and customer data details this is unacceptable.

I know that it is a short sighted option and ultimately I will have to pay for
it, but I am now investing my efforts into repairing my Fedora 8 server.

If anyone can give me anything like the same functionality I would appreciate
it.  My current config is:

[global]

	workgroup = LEEDS
	server string = Combined Larry/Eddie Leeds showroom server
	hosts allow = 127. 10.
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	security = share
	passdb backend = tdbsam
	local master = yes
	os level = 33
	preferred master = yes
 	wins support = yes
	remote browse sync = 10.2.1.255
	remote announce = 10.1.255.255/LEEDS 10.6.255.255/MOTORPARK
10.7.255.255/LEEDS 10.8.255.255/LEEDS
	debug pid = yes
	debug uid = yes
	debug timestamp = yes