[Samba] Sernet Packages - description

Sébastien Le Ray sebastien-samba at orniz.org
Wed Jan 28 03:02:49 MST 2015

Hi,

Le 28/01/2015 10:28, Rowland Penny a écrit :
> On 28/01/15 02:37, Rich Webb wrote:
>
>>   Also I'm hoping that the performance on this server will be faster
>> than that of the domain controller. Currently this domain controller
>> is serving files but I want to move that function to a dedicated box.

For months, there has been no explanation about the reason, just /don't
do this/. And queries for a rationale behind this were rarely answered.
Now there is only this sentence :

We/*_do not recommend_*using the Domain Controller as a file Server.
This is due to issues with the winbind internal to the Domain
Controller. The recommendation is to run separate file orMember Servers
<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server>./

OK, so in fact the only reason is the poor internal winbind
implementation, so this sentence won't be true after 4.2 release…

In medium sized organizations with sparse small agencies around the
country/world, having two boxes (either physical or through chroot) is
not always an option so having the DC and the agency's fileserver merged
makes sense.

Regards<